Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney
Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney
There were nearly 2 million truck accidents and bus accidents reported to the Federal Highway Transportation and Safety Administration in 2017. In Nevada, there were 32 fatalities in 2019 where a large truck was involved.
In Nevada, we define a commercial vehicle as “every vehicle designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of property in furtherance of commercial enterprise.” NRS 484A.055. This is a broad definition, that includes many more vehicles than just an 18 wheeler. It includes:
- Delivery vans and cars have driven exclusively for a business purpose, such as food delivery, florists, and dog groomers. They are usually recognizable by the company’s logo on the car;
- Buses and coaches, including those operated by the Clark County School District, CAT buses, and private tour buses;
- Moving trucks and vans;
- Tanker trucks which carry hazardous materials like gas, and other flammable and combustible materials;
- Cabs, taxis, and limos;
- Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare vehicles;
- Tractor-trailers, whether or not they are actually hauling heavy equipment
- Travel trailers over 10,000 pounds;
- Box trucks;
- Any vehicle with a weight rating of greater than 26,001 pounds is always considered a commercial vehicle under federal law.
Why does it matter if the vehicle involved in the crash is a commercial vehicle?
If you are seriously injured, commercial vehicles usually have greater policy limits than non-commercial vehicles. If there is a larger insurance policy, you do not generally need to worry about policy limits when planning your medical care or be concerned with whether you have uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage.
If you are driving a company vehicle and cause an accident, the company’s insurance will usually pay for the damages.
How is a commercial car crash different from a regular car accident?
In a regular car accident, liability and insurance coverage are usually pretty straightforward. With a commercial policy, there is not necessarily a question of which driver is at fault, but there may be a question of whether the commercial driver’s insurance policy or the driver’s personal insurance or both policies will cover the loss.
What types of damages can I recover in a commercial vehicle accident?
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages as a result of the accident
- Out of pocket expenses
- Medical bills incurred since the time of the accident, these usually include hospital, ambulance, diagnostic care like X-rays and MRI’s, chiropractor care, physical therapy, and pain management
- Emotional damage and care such as therapy
What factors contribute to trucking accidents?
- There are more fatalities in rural areas and urban and suburban. 61% of fatalities occurred in rural areas in 2017.
- In 6% of cases, the truck driver was distracted. 16% of the distraction was related to cell phone use.
- In work zones, 27% of fatal crashes involved large trucks.
- 39% of truck occupants who died in truck accidents were not wearing their seatbelts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENT QUESTIONS
- Do I need an attorney for my accident?
It is highly recommended that you retain an attorney. There can be specialized evidence that needs to be gathered and additional testing that may require expert witnesses. Further, we can assist you in getting nearly immediate medical attention for no money out of pocket, even if you do not have health insurance.
- When should I call an attorney after a commercial vehicle accident?
As soon as possible. We have people call us directly from the scene of the accident who have questions about what to do or how to handle the situation. Others contact us ASAP because they need medical attention and do not have health insurance.
- How much money will I get for my commercial accident case?
This depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- The type and severity of your injuries, and the duration of your treatment;
- Who was at fault for the accident or the percentage of fault assigned to each party;
- The age of the injured persons, their job, and their pre-medical conditions;
- The amount of the medical bills. Generally, the higher the medical bills, the more the case is worth for settlement.
- What is a common type of accident involving a large truck?
It is very common for a truck to strike another vehicle while making a right-hand turn. Large trucks simply cannot make tight turns like smaller vehicles. Factors that contribute to right-hand turn accidents are truck driver fatigue, failure to use a turn signal, unfamiliarity with the area, and failure to spot a car in the driver’s blind spot.
- What are common types of injuries from a commercial vehicle accident?
You might experience broken bones, soft tissue injuries, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, burns, and whiplash.
If you were involved in a collision with a commercial vehicle, call us now to discuss a plan of attack. We may need to quickly gather special types of evidence to build your case.
For more information on how https://hindsinjurylawlasvegas.com/ can help you with Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney, please contact us at (702) 940-1234, or visit us here:
Hinds Injury Law Las Vegas
600 S 8th St Suite 140, Las Vegas, NV 89101