Call or text 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – (702) 940-1234
You are currently viewing Sheriff’s Card / Work Card / TAM Card / Food Handler Card

Sheriff’s Card Denial Appeals and Information Tam Card and Food Handler Card

Sheriff’s Card / Work Card / TAM Card / Food Handler Card

This article is not intended as advice for your specific matter.  Rather, it is a general article about Nevada law.  If you have questions about your particular case, please call Hinds Injury Law Las Vegas immediately at (702) 940-1234.

What kind of card do I need if I want to work in the hotel, gaming or beverage industry?

There are three essential cards that an applicant for a job in Las Vegas needs to know about: TAM Card (or Alcohol Awareness Card), Sheriff’s Card (or Work Card), and a Health Card (Food Handler Card). Each of these cards has a different purpose and application process.

What is a TAM Card and how can I apply?

If you are applying for a job in Nevada that serves alcohol or to be a security guard at an establishment that serves alcohol, you will need to have a TAM card. The governing statutes are found in section 369.600 et seq of the Nevada Revised Statutes. Section 369.630 prohibits an establishment that serves alcohol from hiring or employing to serve alcohol or serve as a security guard if that person does not have a valid TAM card.

The Commission on Postsecondary Education approves and accredits alcohol awareness classes and can be found here. A list of approved schools can be found here.

What is the Alcohol Beverage Awareness Program?
The Alcohol Beverage Awareness Program is a class required to be taken by a person applying for a TAM card.

Section 369.625 of the Nevada Revised Statutes requires the Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education to develop a curriculum that is at least two hours long and includes instruction on the following subjects: the effects of alcohol on the body, identifying intoxicated persons, state and local laws concerning the sale and service of alcohol, ways of preventing and stopping fights, and methods of preventing minors from entering or loitering establishments that serve alcohol.

The class cannot cost more then $40, is valid for up to 4 years and can be completed on the internet.

What is a Work Card or a Sheriff’s Card?

A Work Card or Sheriff’s Card is required to work in the gaming industry, adult entertainment industry, and child care industry. The Card is issued through the local police agency, or in Las Vegas, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Unlike the TAM card, the applicant for a Sheriff’s card must have a job before applying for a Sheriff’s Card. The employer has to go to the LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau in person and obtain applications to provide to prospective employees. A sample application can be found here.

What do I need to apply for a Work Card or Sheriff’s Card?

You will need to have filled out the application that was signed by your prospective employer in black ink, two forms of identification (drivers license, certified birth certificate, social security card, U.S. passport, military I.D., naturalization certificate, or INS authorization to work), and trimmed fingernails to facilitate taking fingerprints. You will also need to be prepared to pay fees for fingerprint processing, the application and an FBI background check which is about $90-120 total currently.

Can my application be rejected?
Yes, there are a number of reasons your application can be rejected. As with any application, lying or falsifying information or providing fraudulent documents will result in rejection of your application, and possibly criminal charges. A felony conviction will also prevent you from being issued a work card.

Can I dispute the rejection of my application?
Yes, if you are rejected, you can appeal that decision. This process is complicated and would require the assistance of an attorney to get the best chance at a reversal.

Where do I go to process my application in Las Vegas?
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department processes Work Cards. Their information page can be found here. Their address is:
400 S. Martin Luther King Blvd., Bldg. C
Las Vegas, NV 89106

What is a Food Handler Card?

In Nevada a person who works in a food establishment who handles or sells food is a food handler under section 446.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes and is required to get a Food Handler Card. This does not include people who handle or serve food that is sealed and packaged for sale directly to the consumer, cashiers, or other people that don’t have direct contact with the food itself.

How do I get a Food Handler Card?
There are a number of steps to obtain a Food Handler Card – first, you have to become certified as a food protection manager through an accredited program. The following programs provide certificates that will be accepted by the Southern Nevada Health District – ServSafePrometricNational Registry of Food Safety Professionals, and Learn2Serve. Next, you will have to complete an application, here in English and here in Spanish.

After getting a certificate and completing an application, you have to go to one of six public health centers during business hours with a valid form of identification and funds to pay the fee of about $20:

Southern Nevada Health District Main Facility
280 S. Decatur Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89107
(702) 759-1099
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This location may close early or intermittently when maximum client volume is reached. To increase the likelihood of being seen the same day, it is best to arrive at the office early.

East Las Vegas Public Health Center
560 N. Nellis Blvd., Suite E12, Las Vegas, NV 89110
(702) 759-1340
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This location may close early or intermittently when maximum client volume is reached. To increase the likelihood of being seen the same day, it is best to arrive at the office early.

Health District Services in Henderson
Henderson City Hall, Neighborhood Services Center
240 Water St., Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 759-1515
Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
This location may close early or intermittently when maximum client volume is reached. To increase the likelihood of being seen the same day, it is best to arrive at the office early.

Mesquite Public Health Center
830 Hafen Lane, Mesquite, NV 89027
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., closed noon – 1 p.m.
No applications will be accepted after 4:15 to allow time for processing.
(702) 759-1682 (If calling from Mesquite, dial direct 346-9161)

Laughlin Public Health Center
55 Civic Way, Laughlin, NV 89029
Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – noon.
No applications will be accepted after 11:30 to allow time for processing.
(702) 759-1060
An online food safety training kiosk is available; appointments are recommended. Bring headphones.